Mexican Quinoa with Fried Egg
30-35 minutes prep & cook.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium-sized onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced (or ~ 1 TBS minced garlic from a jar)
1 cup of quinoa rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 to 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn
1 can 15 oz diced tomatoes, with all their juices
1 cup water or vegetable broth
1 egg per person
2 small bell peppers chopped (or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped)
3 pepper and onion blend frozen bag
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 ripe avocado
A handful of pumpkin seeds
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Press sauté and add 1 TBS oil to the Instant Pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add onion, peppers, 1 tsp cumin and ½ tsp coriander.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cloves garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Give it a stir.
- Pour in the liquid, secure the lid, move the steam release valve to the sealing position.
- Select Manual/Pressure Cook to cook on high for 1 minute for white quinoa, 3 for multi.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 8-10 minutes.
- Cut avocado, cilantro, etc
- Fry eggs two minutes before pressure release.
- Release remaining pressure, stir, and serve with garnish of choice: cilantro, avocado, pumpkin seeds, pickled onion or radish.