Turkey and Black Bean Nachos
25-30 minutes prep & cook.
1 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
16 oz canned seasoned refried black beans
1 4oz canned green chilies
1 4oz canned olives
1 large bag of tortilla chips
Shredded taco blend cheese, ~ 4 cups
Optional: Sour cream, avocado, cilantro
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine all of the spices together in a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the ground turkey by heating oil on medium high heat until hot, then add the turkey and spices. As the meat cooks, use a spoon to break it up into crumbles.
- Cook for about 8 minutes until the meat has browned; if there’s a lot of fat, drain using a colander.
- While it’s cooking, arrange the tortilla chips in a single layer on a sheet pan, overlapping slightly.
- Add the refried beans, olives and green chilies to the turkey pan when cooked through. Mix and heat the mixture until the beans are smooth and warmed. Reduce the heat to low and keep the turkey-bean mixture warm while you prepare the chips.
- Toast the chips in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, or just until you begin to smell their aroma.
- Remove chips and top with half of the cheese (about 2 cups). Allow the heat from the chips to melt the cheese slightly, then top the chips with the meat and bean mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the meat and return the pan to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted.
- Top with things like cilantro, avocado, sour cream, pico de gallo, etc. Serve hot!